Thursday, October 25, 2018

Sharing a Meal

by Cammy Brantzeg


On Tuesday night, we shared a meal at the Mosaic homes with our mission trip team and the Mosaic mothers.  I know the five mothers/grandmothers that currently live in the Mosaic houses but I didn't really know who the other 20 parents were.  I was surprised that I knew around 7 out of the other 20 mothers because they volunteer for Ma's for Wellington.  

Nozuko cooked food that represented each of the Mosaic locations.  Our three courses included the following:
Western Cape - Mosaic Paarl Valley - Chicken Curry and Rice
Eastern Cape - Mosaic Port Elizabeth - Samp, Pumpkin and Beef
North Western - Mosaic Potchefstroom - Pap and Spinach

I have to say that I LOVED the chicken curry and rice.  I also liked the samp which is kind of like a corn that needs to cook for a long time or it needs to be soaked overnight.

In between each course, we drew questions and answered them.  Some of the questions were...
What do you like to do to relax?
What is your biggest fear?
What is your favorite tv show?
Sing your favorite song so we can dance along.

I am not good with music and of course I got that one first.  Luckily, Carl Siewert was sitting by me and he is great with music so he did a song for me!  The questions were a great way to get to know the Mosaic mothers and also to realize how similar we are even though our life circumstances are different.  We all worry about our children and our families.   

Even though I am not good with music, I have to say the music questions were fun because Carl, Betsy and Marius (German volunteer) were great coming up with songs.  Everyone would stand up, sing, clap, and/or dance during the songs.  

You might be wondering if language was a barrier to us talking with the mothers.  For the most part, most of the mothers could understand English so we were able to have a conversation with them or another mother sitting by that knew both English and Afrikaans/Xhosa would translate for us.

Some of Nozuko's friends came and were nice enough to serve each course and clean up afterward.  What a blessing they were!  They took a Tuesday night and spend it dishing up the food, serving us, washing dishes and doing it over again for three courses.  

We are working with Mosaic/Ma's for Wellington to find ways for our mission trip teams that come from America to find ways to build relationships with people in South Africa that is not awkward or forced.  This evening was a BIG success!  I know our group had a fantastic time and I hope that the Mosaic mothers felt the same.  

Nozuko did an amazing job cooking and planning this evening.  She is such a blessing to everyone she comes into contact with!  Love her...



No comments:

Post a Comment